Barbershops have evolved in many ways over the centuries, from medieval barber surgeons who could give you a good trim and leeching all in one sitting, to Wild West saloons where cowboys and outlaws alike could enjoy a shave before high noon. In all that time, though, the barbershop has always been a place where people of all walks of life could gather together, discuss topics, and enjoy each other’s company. Not surprisingly, the nature of barbershops as talking shops have led countless TV shows and films to feature characters interacting at the local barber. Here’s a collection of 5 of the Best Barbershop Scenes from the Movies:
1. Barbershop (2002): Of course we have to start with the movie that has “Barbershop” as its title! Starring Ice Cube and Cedric the Entertainer, Barbershop and its sequel revolve around Calvin (Ice Cube) as he takes over the family barbershop in the south side of Chicago. While there are plenty of scenes that take place in the barbershop (big surprise), below is one where Eddie (Cedric the Entertainer) makes a controversial speech that leads to some funny conversations among the barbershop patrons.
2. High Plains Drifter (1973): Who doesn’t like a good Clint Eastwood film? In this ‘70’s western, Eastwood plays his famous No Name persona who, in typical fashion, proceeds to defend a small Wild West town from a group of outlaws. In the scene, below, Eastwood takes out two such outlaws while enjoying a nice shave. Definitely a customer that barber won’t soon forget! (some violence, not for the faint of heart)
3. Get Shorty (1995): Starring John Travolta, Gene Hackman, and Danny DeVito, this ‘90’s action/comedy follows Chili Palmer (Travolta), a Miami-based mob loan collector, as he tries to collect money from Hollywood mogul Harry Zimm (Hackman). In Hollywood, Chili discovers his interest in film-making, and enlists the help of various criminals and celebrities to help him realize his dream. Below, Chili sits at a barbershop and is accosted by a former colleague (adult language).
4. The Untouchables (1987): Set in Prohibition-era Chicago, the film centers on Al Capone (Robert DeNiro) and his battle against lawman Elliot Ness (Kevin Costner). Artistic, thrilling, and star-studded, the Untouchables is one of the classic gangster films. In the scene, below, Capone is assaulted by reporters while having himself a nice shave.
5. Sweeney Todd (2007): You didn’t think we’d forget about this barbershop classic, did you? Johnny Depp plays Sweeney Todd, who is wrongly imprisoned by a man hoping to steal his wife away. Upon his release, Todd returns to his hometown and opens up a barbershop. But this is no regular barbershop, as his clients discover all too late. In the scene, below, Todd faces off against another barber in a shaving contest. Can you guess who wins?