Spring is almost here, and that means it’s time to put away the beanies and parka hoods and start showing off those gorgeous locks. Here’s a list of 10 hairstyles for Spring this year. If you see anything you like, stop by the shop and we can help you make the most of the nice weather with an amazing hairdo just for you!
1. Side-Swept Blowout: Somewhere in-between a stick-straight and a bouncy / wavy blowout, the side-swept look combines the best of both worlds. If you’re looking for a hairstyle that’s both classy and seemingly effortless, this is the one for you! Silky from the crown down to mid-lengths paired with a gentler bend on the ends it is both polished and graceful.
2. Pixie Cut: With celebrities from Jennifer Lawrence to Anne Hathaway sporting this carefree hairstyle, the pixie cut is one of the hottest looks this year. While this style has been around for ages and was first popularized by the likes of Audrey Hepburn, its modern-day look focuses on movement, shape, and versatility. If you’re looking to stand out in the crowd with a bold, fun cut this is the one to try!
3. Low Ponytail: Let’s face it, ponytails aren’t exactly a trend but rather an easy go-to style for just about any occasion. However, if you’re going to wear your hair in a ponytail this year, then the low ponytail is what you should be shooting for. Effortless and chic, the low ponytail reminds us that simplicity is often the best weapon. Generally best for evening looks, the low ponytail provides a minimalist, understated look that still looks stunning.
4. Blonde: Our one non-hairstyle entry on the list, blonde is the “it” hair color for 2014. Celebrities from Rita Ora to Miley Cyrus are all coloring themselves blonde, and even girls with darker hair are turning the brightness up a bit. According to some, this is partly due to advances in hair coloring technology, making even the palest of blondes look healthy and radiant. So, if you’re thinking about changing your hair color this year, blonde is the way to go.
5. Turban-Tastic: As the weather starts improving, the hot sun paired with your long hair can leave the back of your neck feeling sticky and gross. Turbans to the rescue! A great look in its own right or a sure-fire method to deal with a bad hair day, turbans are an easy look that can add a certain level of mystique to an otherwise bland outfit. “But I don’t have a turban,” you say? Well don’t hang up those winter scarves just yet, because you can easily adapt one to fit stylishly atop your head. Check out Eva Mendes’s hot red-carpet turban look!
6. Rumpled Braid: Like the ponytail, the braid is something we’ve all been wearing since childhood. It evokes a fun, youthful, outgoing personality that’s perfect for warmer weather. One great way to rock the braid this year is with the rumpled, just-hopped-out-of-bed-even-though-it-took-20-minutes-to-do braid. Just scrunch your hair as you blow dry with a diffuser, comb through the waves with your fingers, and weave your braid for a fun, flirty look!
7. Slick and Slicked-Back: You didn’t think we’d leave out styles for the fellas, did you? Unless you’ve been living under a rock recently, you know that slicked back hair is beck in fashion thanks to TV shows like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. But don’t take it too seriously. For 2014, you want to go for a somewhat messier slick to give your do a more casual feel. You don’t want flyaways on the top of your head, but a little messy on the ends is just right.
8. Quiff: Thanks to celebrities like Bruno Mars, this retro 1950’s do is making a comeback. Basically, you cut your hair so the front locks are longer than everything else and use gel or pomade to puff that hair up. Using a hair dryer is another necessity if you want to achieve that gravity-defying height (you do, trust me). One of the most popular hairstyles this year, the quiff is definitely worth a try.
9. Pompadour: Similar to the quiff, the pompadour is another style that prioritizes high, swept-up hair in the front. Unlike the quiff, though, the modern pompadour style has increasingly favored cutting the hair on the sides of the head super short, creating a much more dramatic look. Popularized by none other than Elvis Presley, in recent times both Justins Timberlake and Bieber have brought the pompadour back to new heights.
10. Sideways Fringe: A great, clean-cut yet youthful look is the sideways fringe. Cut the hair on the sides and back short (not too short!) while keeping some extra length along the top. The longer hair is cut into jagged layers and combed to the side. It’s best to use just a bit of styling gel to get the fringe just right, but don’t stress too much about it. You don’t need the part to be perfect, since this is a style that should look pretty effortless.